Neworld Theatre is recruiting a Producer!
Neworld Theatre is one of Vancouver’s leading and best-known independent theatre/ performance companies, and an integral part of a highly collaborative community that has evolved in the Vancouver theatre scene over the last decade. We work in a 6000 s.f. shared production hub and studio, PL1422, in the Commercial Drive area of East Vancouver. Led by Artistic Director Marcus Youssef, Neworld develops and/or produces 3-5 shows a year, tours nationally and internationally, and offers community engagement programs. We also offer ongoing support and mentorship to younger companies/artists who we believe in. Recent highlights include: presenting our work in 46 theatres in 7 Canadian provinces and 10 countries around the world in the past 5 years; cofounding PL1422; our off-Broadway premiere;, multiple local, national and international awards; and 21 years of creating work that includes a hugely diverse group of artists and collaborators.
Working closely with the Managing Producer, and reporting to the Managing Producer and the Artistic Director, the Producer will be responsible for coordinating all elements of Neworld’s local and touring productions. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Managing multiple production and touring schedules;
- Facilitating internal project-specific communications between artists, designers, production teams, and vendors;
- Managing production-specific budgets, with the Managing Producer;
- Preparing Equity production registration and concession requests;
- Preparing Artist and Production team contracts;
- Creating and maintaining tour riders;
- Coordinating travel & accommodation when required (includes supporting the preparation of US work visas);
This is a new position at Neworld and as such other duties and responsibilities may be required as the position evolves.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A minimum 5 years of experience working in a professional theatre company or another performing arts organization, ideally in a production capacity (this includes experience as a Stage Manager);
- Direct theatre producing experience. Touring experience is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets, schedules, other production logistics;
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, the CTA or ITA, or an equivalent from another jurisdiction;
- Experience communicating and working with Equity and PACT. Experience with any of the following agreements is an asset: ADC, AMA/CFM/VMA, IATSE.
The candidate will have excellent communication and organization skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations. Also … they play well with others – that’s one of our mottos, and it’s essential. We’re looking for someone who likes to collaborate and to do so in ways that encourages themselves and the people around them to find joy in their work.
At Neworld we value open, transparent communication above all. In addition to hiring someone with the skills this position requires, it is always our goal to allow staff to evolve their role to suit their own interests and skills. We want to work with someone who is excited by the possibilities this could bring.
- This full time position begins September 17, 2018. Depending on the candidate’s schedule and availability, the start date could be earlier in September.
- The Producer will work an average of 35 hours per week.
- The Producer will be paid $45,000 per annum, plus an extended health benefits package after the first 3 months.
- 4 weeks paid holiday annually, to be arranged in collaboration with the Managing Producer. Historically, two of those weeks are at Christmas.
- We aim to interview short-listed candidates in the middle of July 2018. Those who are out of town will be offered a Skype interview.
- To apply, please email (with the subject line Producer Position) your CV and a letter outlining why you think Neworld Theatre and this position might be a good fit for you, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 6, 2018, 5PM PST. Please include three references.
Neworld Theatre is a company founded on the principle of diversity, and we hope to receive applications from candidates with a broad range of backgrounds including, but not limited to: race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, gender-identification, sexual orientation, class and physical ability (though our office is currently on a second floor, and as such not wheelchair accessible).
We thank all candidates for applying, but we only have capacity to contact those selected for an interview. For more information please visit us at neworldtheatre.com or email Managing Producer, Matt Moreau, at email@example.com.