Our association with Inside/Out came by way of our then Managing Director, Kirsty Munro. She attended an early workshop of the show at Little Mountain Gallery, a staple of the East Side indie theatre scene and home to Main Street Theatre. Over 60 people crammed into the space to see Patrick Keating’s solo show. As soon as the reading ended, she knew that Neworld should be a part of getting Inside/Out to a larger audience.
Patrick is kind, soft-spoken and sincere; Inside/Out is his real-life story of years spent in and out of Canada’s penitentiary system. And that’s the thing – you look at Patrick and think, ‘this guy robbed a bank?’ Patrick’s honest and engaging delivery of his funny, sad, and stirring true story helps dismantle our ideas of what a ‘criminal’ looks like – and helps us better understand how language, race and class play a very real part in our lives as Canadians. It’s about a man’s search for community: the community of the street, the community of prison, and of the theatre.
Inside/Out: A Prison Memoir. Written and Performed by Patrick Keating. Directed and Dramaturged by Stephen Malloy. Sound Design by Noah Drew. Lighting Design by Jayleen Pratt. Set, Props, and Costume Design by Barbara Clayden. Stage Management by Sandy Cumberland.
Produced by Neworld Theatre in association with Main Street Theatre and Urban Crawl. Developed with the support of the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts.
“Darkly funny…a vivid and necessary reminder that people in prison are, first and foremost, human beings.” – Kathleen Oliver, The Georgia Straight
“Writing and performing Inside/Out is one of the best choices Keating ever made.” – Jo Ledingham, On the Scene
“This is compelling, embracing, troubling, and touching theatre as up close and personal as it gets.” – Broken Leg Reviews
“Patrick Keating has been quietly fueling this city’s independent theatre scene with substance, rigor, and honesty.” – Norman Armour, Executive Director, PuSH International Performing Arts Festival
- Little Mountain Gallery, Vancouver BC, April 1-12, 2015.
- Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Burnaby BC, February 3-6, 2016.
- Uno Fest, Victoria BC, May 24-25, 2016.
- Contact East, Saint John NB, September 24, 2016.
- Festival Players’ soloFest, Prince Edward County ON, July 24-26, 2017.
- PuSh International Performance Arts Festival, Vancouver BC, January 17-21, 2018.
- Atlantic Canada tour including Fredericton Playhouse (Fredericton NB), Capitol Theatre (Moncton NB), Acadia University’s Festival Theatre (Wolfsville NS), L’Association Le Moulin de la Baie (Saulnierville NS), and Lawrence O’Brien Arts Centre (Happy Valley-Goose Bay NL), March 15-21, 2018.