In 2011, Marcus and James Long of Theatre Replacement were making a play – a Kafka-esque thing about two office workers. To warm up they played a game called ‘winners and losers’: name a person, place or thing and debated whether it’s a winner or a loser. They also made long lists of various skills or attributes (parenting, wrestling, cooking, ping pong, etc.) and debated who was better at them. They recorded and transcribed it all, and when they read it back, they realized the games were better and more dangerous than the play they were writing. Because the game was real.
Less than 5 years later, Winners and Losers has had over 100 performances in 17 cities. The play has been published by Talonbooks, filmed live and streamed online by On The Boards TV, and been seen by thousands of theatre-goers around the world. Through it all, we’ve collaborated with our good friends at Theatre Replacement. Which is ironic, in a way. It’s a show about competition and the destructive impact of capitalism and privilege on our most intimate relationships. And we created and produced in the most collaborative, mutually supportive way we can imagine. And yes, they’re still friends. Maybe it doesn’t get any more real than that.
Written and performed by Marcus Youssef and James Long / Directed by Chris Abraham / Lighting by Jonathan Ryder / Stage & Production management by Elia Kirby.
Rent for purchase a full performance of Winners and Losers from OntheBoardsTV
For touring info, please contact Dani Fecko at Fascinator Management.
- The Gateway Theatre, Studio B, Richmond Canada, November 22-December 1, 2012 (WORLD PREMIERE)
- PuSh International Performing Arts Festival, Vancouver Canada, January 30 – February 2, 2013
- Brighton Festival, Brighton Dome Studio Theatre, Brighton UK, May 22 – 24, 2013
- Festival TransAmériques, Espace Libre, Montreal Canada, May 27 – 29, 2013
- Magnetic North Theatre Festival, Ottawa Canada, June 11 – 15, 2013
- Noorderzon Performing Arts Festival, Groningen Netherlands, August 23 – 25, 2013
- Lokal, Reykjavik Iceland, August 28 & 29, 2013
- Aarhus Festival, Aarhus Denmark, September 3 – 5, 2013
- Terni Festival, Terni Italy, September 22 – 23, 2013
- Dublin Theatre Festival, Dublin Ireland, September 26 – 29, 2013
- Canadian Stage, Berkley Street Theatre, Toronto Canada, November 10 – December 8, 2013
- Intrepid Theatre, Metro Theatre, Victoria Canada, April 11 & 12, 2014
- On the Boards, Northwest Series, Seattle USA, April 23 – 27, 2014
- Foreign Affairs Festival, Berlin Germany, June 26 – 28, 2014
- Soho Rep, New York USA, January 2 – February 1, 2015
- University Theatre, UBC Okanagan, Kelowna Canada, March 20 & 21, 2015
- Citadel Theatre, Edmonton Canada, April 9 – 18, 2015
- Woolly Mammoth, Washington DC, October 26 – November 22, 2015
- The Cultch, Vancouver Canada, February 16 – 27 2016
- Vernon and Distict Performing Arts Centre, Vernon Canada, March 3, 2016
- High Performance Rodeo, Calgary Canada, January 25-28, 2017
- Artists Repertory Theatre, Portland USA, March 24-26, 2017
Video by Michael Sider