Volunteer Opportunity – Emotional Support Worker
Neworld Theatre is seeking experienced individuals to join our emotional support team for the production of The Boy in the Moon.
Position Title: Emotional Support Worker
Location: The Cultch, Vancouver, BC
Dates: March 31st– April 11th, 2020
Compensation: $50 honorarium per performance and an opportunity to attend the dress rehearsal for The Boy in the Moon
Neworld Theatre is recruiting for experienced individuals to support in facilitating the Emotional Support Program, which will accompany performances of The Boy in the Moon. Based on Canadian journalist Ian Brown’s memoir of life with his son, The Boy in the Moon tells a deeply moving story about a family raising a child with a rare disease.
As the subject matter of the production might be sensitive to some audience members with related lived experience, Neworld Theatre will be offering a facilitated emotional support breakout space at every performance for any audience member to access.
We are seeking individuals with previous experience in a volunteer, learning, or professional capacity of providing practical or emotional support to others. Support workers will be interacting with audience members and guiding mindfulness-based relaxation activities in a one-to-one or small group setting. Support workers will also be asked to attend a mandatory training day on Sunday, March 22nd from 10am-5pm (exact timing TBC).
Dates and Times:
We ask that support workers be available to work at least two performances through the run of the show (3 hours performance shift). There will be both matinee performances and evening performances. Supports workers will be asked to arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the performance. Performances run Tuesday through Sunday.
- To deliver mindfulness-based relaxation activities to audience members affected by the content of the performance
- To offer a safe and non-judgemental space for audience members to feel heard and respected
- Prior work, learning or volunteer experience of supporting young people and families in disability contexts
- Lived and/or professional knowledge of disability experiences
- Experience using mindfulness-based practices
- Experience with art-making
- One-to-one or group support work in an outreach capacity
- Individuals must have a valid Vulnerable Sector Check or meet the requirements to apply for one with the support of Neworld Theatre
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please submit a resume and short message outlining your interest in this opportunity to Emotional Support Program Coordinator, Natasha Zacher, at email@example.com. Feel free to get in touch with any further questions.
Deadline to apply is Saturday, February 29th, 2020
For more information on The Boy in the Moon and for a full performance schedule, see The Boy in the Moon page.