Neworld Theatre Job Opportunity
Neworld Theatre is seeking an experienced individual to coordinate our emotional support team.
Emotional Support Program Coordinator
Part-time, including some evening and weekends
February 1-April 12, 2020
Neworld Theatre is seeking a Program Coordinator experienced at the intersections of project management, social work and disability to join us on our production of The Boy in the Moon. Due to the personal and sensitive nature of the performance, we are looking for a skilled individual to design, recruit and implement emotional support services for audience members. The audience members may include individuals who are neurodiverse or who have a lived experience of supporting and/or caring for individuals with disabilities.
At Neworld Theatre we are interested in creating plays and performances that are unafraid to dive deep into questions and experiences that mainstream culture is reluctant to address honestly and without judgement. We attempt to do so in ways that are non-didactic, entertaining and – most of all – recognizably human. We create shows that invite people in, make them laugh and engage audiences through buyable depictions of the ultimately unknowable complexity of each of our interior lives.
The Boy is the Moon is a play, produced by Neworld Theatre, that will be performed at The Cultch Historic Theatre March 31-April 11, 2020 in Vancouver, BC. Based on Canadian journalist Ian Brown’s memoir of life with his son, The Boy in the Moon tells a deeply moving story about a family’s struggle to raise a child with a rare disease. It is a story of pain and beauty that asks vital questions about family, frailty and the values we ascribe to human lives; our own, and those around us.
We ask that the Program Coordinator start working on recruitment and project logistics two (2) months prior to the opening of the show. During the run of the show, the Coordinator will be required to attend all performances. After the show, the Coordinator will be responsible for wrapping up and reporting on the program.
- To implement the emotional support program that provides emotional support to audience members who may have an emotional response to content of the performance.
- To recruit and train qualified support workers to provide emotional support to audience members.
- To create and maintain a safe and non-judgemental therapeutic space for audience members to access.
- Experience implementing community programs and project management skills.
- Experience working with neurodiverse individuals or individuals who live with disabilities.
- Experience using mindfulness therapeutic techniques.
- Applicants of all cultural backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply.
- Applications are due by 5 PM PST on Thursday, November 21, 2019 by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or can be dropped off in person at 1422 William Street, Vancouver, BC.
- Please include a short cover later and a resume of applicable work experience.
- We will confirm receipt of all applications. We will reach out directly to applicants selected for an interview by Friday, November 29.
- Interviews will be conducted throughout December 2019.
If you have any questions about the position, please call the Neworld Theatre office at 604.602.0007 or email email@example.com.